INDIVIDUAL TOUR OF RETHYMNO – SPILI – PREVELI – KOURTALIOTIKO GORGE28/02/2019
CRUISE TO ATHENS FROM CRETE 1 DAY27/02/2019
Included in the price:
- Transfer from hotels located in the HERAKLION area: Amudara, Analipsi, Anissaras, Gouves, Gournes, Carteros, Kokkini Hani, Hersonissos, Malia, Stalida.
- Guide: English speaking, high-level
- Palace of Knossos 15 euros - (up to 18 years old - free)
- Kardiotissa Monastery 2 euro - (children from 5 to 12 years old - 1 euro, children under 4 years old - free of charge)
- The cave of Zeus 6 euros - (children from 5 to 12 years old - 3 euros, children under 4 years old - free of charge)
- The cost of transfer from hotels located in the village of Fodele, Agia Pelagia, Ligaria increases by 7 € for an adult and 4 € for a child
Schedule: Monday, Thursday.
Duration: From 7:30 to 18:30 (indicated approximately,
depends on the area of rest)
Informative: Incredibly much information.
Degree of difficulty: : Medium
Transportation: By bus (up to 2 hours one way)
Pedestrian part : Visit of the cave of Zeus (sloping path
up, climb about 20 minutes). It may seem difficult for
people with sore legs and even very small children -
donkeys can be used on this section of the road
Travel opportunity with small children: Yes
Lunch: For an additional fee (10-15 euros per person).
Provided free time for lunch in the tavern
Do not forget to take with you: Headgear, comfortable
shoes, water, money for lunch, a light jacket for the cave.
Terms of return of the excursion: Upon cancellation
of the tour for more than a day - 75% refund.
No refunds in case of cancellation less than 24 hours.
PLATEAU OF LASSITHI
TWO EXCURSIONS IN ONE!
GREAT CHANCE DURING THE DAY:
•See the main attractions of the island and learn a lot of interesting information about the customs of the local population.
• See how mysterious myths about the Minotaur and the real story when visiting the PALACE of KNOSSOS are intricately intertwined.
• Get the experience of traveling on the amazingly beautiful mountain routes to the delightful LASSITHI PLATEAU, enjoy clay modeling under the guidance of an experienced potter, marvel at the miraculous icon in one of the most revered monasteries from the locals “KERA CARDIOTISA - Our Lady of Heart”.
• Descend to the bottom of the ritual CAVE to the place of birth of the main god Olympus ZEUS.
• Appreciate the delights of high-mountain Cretan cuisine in a TRADITIONAL TAVERN at the end of the journey.
At the beginning of your journey (5 kilometers from the city of Heraklion) you will discover the most outstanding monument of Minoan civilization, the palace/maze of King Minos, located on the picturesque hill of Kefali.
Knossos was a complex architectural ensemble, oriented to the cardinal points. It included halls for ceremonial receptions and ceremonies, religious premises, royal apartments, retail shops, workshops, warehouses, treasuries and ceramic water supply, arranged according to the principle of communicating vessels. Despite the overall asymmetry this architectural structure, created about 4000 thousand years ago, is recognized as one of the 100 wonders of the world.
Further, while going through picturesque mountain villages, you will notice how the eastern mountain massif surrounds the fertile Lassithi plateau looks like a crown, keeping a special microclimate enabling the farmers to successfully engage in agriculture. Once the plateau was littered with 40 thousand windmills, pumping water from the ground to irrigate the fields.
The bus continues to travel among farmland, approaching the place of a hiking climb. Two paths paved with stone lead up to the "Dikte Cave" or better known as the "Cave of Zeus". Climbing on foot (about 20 minutes) or on donkeys for an additional fee. Descend the stairs into the depths of the cave, where you can see skillfully highlighted fantastic compositions of stalactite figures reflected in the mirror surface of a lake.
Upon returning from the Lassithi plateau (at an altitude of 622 meters), we stop at the Orthodox convent of Kera Cardiotissa - the Heart of the Virgin Mary, erected in the 13th century. In the ancient Byzantine church, nuns keep the main shrine - the miraculous icon of the Virgin Kera Cardiotissa, which gave the name to the monastery. Pilgrims from different countries come to worship this icon. According to legends of the VIII century the icon painted by the monk Saint Lazarus was considered miraculous: it healed the sick and the weak, especially helped women who had no children. Several times the Turks took the wonderworking icon to Constantinople, but each time it miraculously returned to the monastery. During the restoration work of the church, held in the 1970s, beautiful ancient 14th-century frescoes, painted in the Renaissance style, were discovered from under the plaster layer.
A pleasant conclusion of this day will be a stop at the pottery workshop, where, under the guidance of the best local craftsman, you will be able to make a ceramic vessel in memory of Crete and dine at a traditional Cretan tavern.